Math Teacher Job Description
Math Job Summary
The teacher is responsible for creating a classroom environment that develops, in each student, the skills of listening, speaking, reading, and writing in a math context that are fundamental to effective communication and citizenship. The teacher is expected to foster in the students appreciation of the subject matter that motivates them to read widely for information and recreation. He or she is expected to develop the students’ critical thinking and judgment of written and oral communications transmitted by mass media. The teacher should be able to discover and develop special talents of students in the field of math to prepare each student to meet the standards.
1. Teaches middle and high school math content while at the same time enhancing the students’ reading and writing skills in math subject matter utilizing the Oakland county curriculum in conjunction with the common core literacy standards.
2. Instructs students in citizenship and basic subject matter.
3. Adapts math material and methods to develop relevant sequential assignments and lesson plans that guide and challenge students.
4. Develops lesson plans and supplementary materials that allow for successful learning in small group instruction in order to adapt the curriculum to the needs of each student and subgroups of students.
5. Evaluates academic and social growth of students, prepares report cards, keeps appropriate
records to include attendance reports, checklists, and other recordkeeping activities as necessary.
6. Assign homework and class work to students and assist them with queries.
7. Following up on homework, checking it and giving students daily feedback on their homework.
8. Encourages students to think independently and to express original ideas.
9. Evaluates each student’s progress in meeting the course standards.
10. Establishes and maintains standards of student behavior needed to provide an orderly, productive classroom environment.
11. Identifies student needs and cooperates with other professional staff members in assessing and
helping students solve learning, health and attitude problems.
12. Communicates with parents and school counselors on student progress.
13. Supervises students in assigned out-of-classroom activities during the working day.
14. Participates in faculty committees and the sponsorship of student activities.
15. Administers testing in accordance with the school policy.
16. Models nondiscriminatory practices in all activities.
1. Maintains professional competence by attending staff development programs, curriculum
development meetings and other professional activities.
2. Participates in various student and parent activities which occur in school including PTO, student
clubs and after-school activities.
3. Creates an effective learning environment through functional and attractive displays, bulletin
boards, and activity/learning centers.
4. Performs any other related duties as assigned by the Principal or other appropriate administrator.
- Abiding by the educational policies and guidelines of the school
- Working collaboratively and cooperatively with principal and other colleagues of the school community in implementing the principles of the Islamic educational community.
- Fulfilling the primary duties including , but is not limited to:
- Teaching and acting in accordance with Islamic doctrine and moral teachings.
- Knowing, teaching and acting consistently in accordance with the philosophy, objectives and policies of the school.
- Abiding by Islamic principles, including dietary rules and dress code.
- Engaging in on-going professional development.
- Cooperating in building the Muslim educational community.
- Serving the school as assigned by the principal and performing teaching duties in a professional and Islamic manner.
- Attending and participating in faculty meetings, school wide activities and projects.
- Participating and collaborating in school-related meetings,
- Maintaining complete and accurate records regarding grades, progress and attendance.
- Conferring with parents when necessary and/or appropriate.
- Attending all parent-teacher conferences, fundraising events, open houses, and other weekend and evening school events as required.
- Performing such other duties consistent with the work of a teacher as the principal may from time to time designate, i.e. lunchroom duty, playground duty, etc.
- Following curriculum chosen by the school.
- Supervising students at all times and never leave them unattended
- Teaching and supporting proper and respectful attitudes and good posture in all students.
- Refraining from engaging in negative or critical remarks or actions concerning any person, policies, guidelines, rules or regulations connected with the school.
- Directing all questions, requests, suggestions and criticisms on policies, guidelines, programs, rules, regulations, duties, responsibilities, curriculum, books, materials, persons and other related matters to either the Principal or the designated person for the proper answers.
- Refraining from soliciting, selling or conducting personal business during school time or on the school premises without the express permission of the principal.
- Maintaining punctuality and reporting to work on time every day based on the school business hours. Additional hours may be required for after school extra-curricular activities and/or tutoring, remedial tutoring, scheduled past 4:30 p.m.
- Agreeing to keep school matters confidential and professional within the school, and to not share school information with any individual or individuals. Sharing of confidential information is grounds for dismissal.
- No use of cell phones during instructional time, or while supervising students in non-instructional activity.
- No email checking or use of social media, including Facebook, during instructional time.
Supervision Received: Principal
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. The teacher will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other related duties as assigned by the Principal or appropriate administrator.