Montessori Assistant Position Job Description
At least a high School diploma, demonstrated ability to work with children, responsible and able to take direction and to follow through, willingness to be trained in Montessori philosophy
- Assisting teacher during class time by redirecting children to work and aiding children who need help.
- Working with teacher to prepare the learning environment each morning.
- Maintaining order and cleanliness of the learning environment daily.
- Assisting in the cleaning, preparation, and maintenance of classrooms and supervision of children on the playground and in the lunchroom.
- Providing direct instruction and/or remedial help as directed by the teacher.
- Helping children to work cooperatively in an atmosphere of respect, using models of behavior and intervention demonstrated by the teacher.
- Helping teacher to make materials and plan activities; assists with field trips and “going out”
- Substituting for teacher in cases of illness or absence;
- Reporting accidents and concerns immediately to the teacher.
- Working with the teacher to learn about philosophy of Montessori to further understand the goals of the class and the school.
- Attending open houses and teacher in-service as directed in contract.
- Carrying out all specific procedures and responsibilities as outlined by the IIA handbook.
- Abiding by the educational policies and guidelines of the school
- Working collaboratively and cooperatively with principal and other colleagues of the school community in implementing the principles of the Islamic educational community.
- Fulfilling the primary duties including , but is not limited to:
- Teaching and acting in accordance with Islamic doctrine and moral teachings.
- Knowing, teaching and acting consistently in accordance with the philosophy, objectives and policies of the school.
- Abiding by Islamic principles, including dietary rules and dress code.
- Engaging in on-going professional development.
- Cooperating in building the Muslim educational community.
- Serving the school as assigned by the principal and performing teaching duties in a professional and Islamic manner.
- Attending and participating in faculty meetings, school wide activities and projects.
- Participating and collaborating in school-related meetings,
- Maintaining complete and accurate records regarding grades, progress and attendance.
- Conferring with parents when necessary and/or appropriate.
- Attending all parent-teacher conferences, fundraising events, open houses, and other weekend and evening school events as required.
- Performing such other duties consistent with the work of an assistant as the principal may from time to time designate, i.e. lunchroom duty, playground duty, etc.
- Following curriculum chosen by the school.
- Supervising students at all times and never leave them unattended
- Teaching and supporting proper and respectful attitudes and good posture in all students.
- Refraining from engaging in negative or critical remarks or actions concerning any person, policies, guidelines, rules or regulations connected with the school.
- Directing all questions, requests, suggestions and criticisms on policies, guidelines, programs, rules, regulations, duties, responsibilities, curriculum, books, materials, persons and other related matters to either the Principal or the designated person for the proper answers.
- Refraining from soliciting, selling or conducting personal business during school time or on the school premises without the express permission of the principal.
- Maintaining punctuality and reporting to work on time every day based on the school business hours. Additional hours may be required for after school extra-curricular activities and/or tutoring, remedial tutoring, scheduled past 4:30 p.m.
- Agreeing to keep school matters confidential and professional within the school, and to not share school information with any individual or individuals. Sharing of confidential information is grounds for dismissal.
- No use of cell phones during instructional time, or while supervising students in non-instructional activity.
- No email checking or use of social media, including Facebook, during instructional time.
Supervision Received: Principal
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. The assistant will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other related duties as assigned by the Principal or appropriate administrator.